Thursday, September 15, 2005

A Tree Falls in the Desert...

... If nobody is there to hear it, does it make any sound?

So is the variation I heard today on the classic philosophical poser.

1) What bloody tree? This is a goddamn desert! Deserts have sand, not trees!

[Except this one]

2) Of course it does...

3) ... Unless of course you actually believe that the world only exists in so far as humans are there to perceive it. For me, if you're going to go this far, you should really say 'If I am not there to hear it, does it make any sound?'

I find it easier to conceive of everything being a figment of my personal imagination rather than everything being a figment of humanity's imagination. But imagine the reverse! One massive inconceivable self-deception - humanity believes in sound, but 'sound' does not exist!

Rock on! (Although I suppose it's rather hard to 'rock on' without sound...)

2 Comments:

Blogger N James said...

Yes, this all makes perfect sense, but you're wrong about one tiny detail. Everything exists only in my imagination. Actually I suppose that makes me wrong in one tiny detail. Balls.

5:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regardless of a human being there or not - the tree indeed makes a sound despite no one hearing it.

3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home