Friday, September 02, 2005

Original Intergrity...

Borges. He himself questioned his originality, recognising himself as a reader, primarily. I try to write (some of which appears/will appear here.) One problem I face in my writing is an almost compulsive need to be original in what I write.

Jorge Luis Borges, in his short story "The Immortal", claims that, given immortality, all men would write all things. Hence, when he meets Homer in an African desert and discovers that he is so old he can barely remember writing the Odyssey, he concludes that it would be more amazing for man not to have written the Odyssey than for him to have written it.
Borges is full of these wonderful fragile and unreal images. But what if there is something in it? Many many people have postulated the 'only seven stories have ever been told' theory, or a version of it. I prefer to think that this is not the case, and that a story can be different to any before it in a number of ways.
Sometimes I find it frustrating to see a brilliant film, or read a work of genius. It makes me realise that I've now lost the chance to write it myself. But yesterday I thought up the most amazing plot for a short story and I have written most of it joyously already.
But is it nothing more than an illusion? Am I only happy because I haven't read the story I have written yet? It would be so easy to surrender to duplicity, to re-write the greatest works.
Even in originality we stand on the shoulders of the giants that have preceded us. We can hope for nothing more than to form a link in the infinite chain of humanity...

6 Comments:

Blogger Indeterminacy said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the nice comment. Your blog looks interesting to me. I wrote a story once (not one at the blog) in which I used the line "There _is_ an absolute morality!" (Probably one of the most dangerous statements ever).

I noticed the comment above me is spam. You can turn on an option in blogger to require entry of random word before a comment can be posted.

12:37 pm  
Blogger Matt McGrath said...

Yeah, damn spam, but would turning on that option stop it? Is it bot spam?

Also, does anyone know how i delete it? I can't find the option?

Thanks for the comment by the way...

3:56 pm  
Blogger Matt McGrath said...

Ah, found the delete button, that's better!

3:56 pm  
Blogger Mike Wong said...

thanks for dropping by and leaving me a comment, Ash. Though I'm Malaysian but let's jst say I dream in English...

Anyways I'm trying to better myself in my writing. I'll be visiting your blog on ocassion. I could need a lesson/inspiration or two.

Good day!

Mike

5:58 pm  
Blogger Diana said...

Cool! are you gonna post your story? I'll have a short story shortly. I'll make myself stop editing over and over again or else it'll never get posted!

12:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.'

Ecclesiastes 1:9

;-)

6:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home