Friday, August 12, 2005

The Huge Irrelevance of a Blog.

In the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Ford Prefect comes across a machine of terror along his journeys, I forget what it was called. (This is in the book, perhaps not the film - I haven't seen that yet.) This machine shows you just how small and utterly insignificant you really are by allowing you to see and feel the true epic size of the galaxy and then to see and feel your own size in comparison. Its usual effect is to send people insane, but Zaphod Beeblebrox(?) is just fine because he's the president of the galaxy and is therefore actually quite important (at least in his own head.)

I tell you this because the experience described there is rather analagous to that of having a blog. Your blog sits there all on its own in a universe of websites. For example, if you type in the word 'neutral' into Google it yields 24,400,000 sites, and one gets the impression with such a round number that they may just have drawn the line there leaving some out. To get to this site you pretty much have to enter complete "phrases". The bottom line is, it's damned irrelevant.

Folloowing the analogy, this could send me insane.

However, consider this: if we apply mathematics to the problem we can proceed as follows:

The relevance of my blog amongst my friends = n (where n represents some [hopefully positive] value)
The relevance of my blog amonst my friends' friends = 1/n.
The relevance of my blog amongst my friends' firends' friends = 1/(n^2)
Following this pattern we arrive at the term [Limit from z=1 to infinity](1/(n^z)).

This, as anyone surely knows, yields a solution of zero (unless n<1 in which case it gives infinity!). Thus far there has been an assumption herein that zero is the [a? could infinity also be a neutral 'number'?] neutral number. This site therefore appears to tend towards neutrality! WoooHooo!

However, has recent commenting activity disturbed this limit function, yielding a tainted site?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Everytime I read your posts I get dizzy. Somehow both feelings exist at the same time: Understanding and Non-understanding.

Woohoo, ain't that neutral?

:)

9:00 am  
Blogger Crazy Dan said...

I know I got it off Chris and Chris thats why I credited them. that way my reader can see there writing and increase their reader ship

10:00 am  
Blogger Matt McGrath said...

Wonderfully neutral, I'll try to keep up the good work!

10:14 am  
Blogger N James said...

That is an interesting bit of mathemagic, however:
1) The more the first person likes your site, the less their friend likes it.
2) Surely you'd be looking at the sum of the series, which tends to n+(1/(n-1)), which is not really very neutral.

Personally, I've never thought of 0 as very neutral, it seems a little too aggressive.

9:58 am  
Blogger Deek Deekster said...

"Your blog sits there all on its own in a universe of websites."

No it doesn't. It is of itself a thing in its own world, causing other worlds, and lives, to interact with it.

1:42 pm  
Blogger Matt McGrath said...

Hahahaha! I can only dream of such accolade...

10:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home